Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Values – How they shape one’s life?

Values are the fundamental forces that drive our lives.


“Values are like fingerprints. Nobody’s are the same. But you leave them all over everything you do.” – Elvis Presley

“Peace of mind comes when your life is in harmony with true principles and values and in no other way.” - Stephen Covey

“It’s not hard to make decisions when you know what your values are.” – Roy Disney

 

“What is the value that is most important to me?” is a question what each one of us should be asking ourselves. Once there is a clarity in what our values are it becomes easier for us to make decisions. Values guide us through our lives as they are our fundamental beliefs and every action or non-action is guided by them.

When asked about my values, I realized that independence was most important for me. The need for financial independence came in a little early. As years went by, I realized the need for physical independence as well towards the last stages of my life.

The desire for financial independence drove me to engage myself continuously in earning propositions. It guided me to be prudent in spending and hence accumulate savings. It motivated me to explore different investment avenues. It taught me to analyse risk-reward metrics of an investment opportunity.

Values play an important part in the course of parenting as well. Apart from personal values, there can be family values as well. Inculcation of family values in children can be achieved through discussions and demonstration by the parents. Decisions have to be guided through values and demonstrated through actions continuously. This will set the children on a path, which is more decisive and has greater clarity.

So, what values are important to you – a personal level and at family level?

No comments: